The project “Waste Processing Plant (WPP) and Waste Landfills of Amari” is about the study, construction and test operation of the Waste Processing Plant (WPP) and Waste Landfills of Amari. The Amari WPP will serve the entire Regional Unit of Rethymnon and will accept both pre-selected organic waste from Mixed Urban Solid Waste (USW) as well as mixed waste from the conventional collection bin. Particularly, the unit will receive 35,600 tons / yr of Mixed Urban Solid Waste (USW) and 7,400 tons / yr of pre-selected organic waste.
The plant includes:
- A reception unit and temporary storage for incoming USW
- A reception and temporary storage unit of incoming pre-selected organic
- A mechanical processing unit for USW with the purpose of recovering recyclable materials and separation of the organic fraction for biological processing
- A biological processing unit of the organic fraction of USW and the pre-selected organic by the method of dry anaerobic digestion
- A biogas utilization unit
- An aerobic biological treatment unit
- A refining – refining unit of the material after aerobic treatment
- Environmental protection units for the processing of gaseous pollutants and wastewater
- Construction of the landfills
- All the necessary infrastructure projects, supply of mobile equipment and trial operation of the project
The Amari WPP is the first anaerobic waste digestion plant built in Greece which will fully utilize the biogas produced for energy production. It will have high tech waste separation and recovery devices to maximize recycling. Also, along with the start of the operation of Amari WPP, the separate collection of organic waste will also begin, as well as the Unit will be able to receive and process a quantity of Preselected organic waste to produce an excellent amount of soil improvement.
The results of the project:
- Management of 35,600 tons of Mixed Urban Solid Waste (USW) and 7,400 tons of pre-selected organic waste per year
- Recovery of recyclable materials and separation of the organic fraction for biological processing
- Production of compost from the pre-selected organic fraction of Urban Solid Waste (USW)
- Utilization of biogas for the cogeneration of electricity and heat
- Environmental Protection
The “Waste Processing Plant (WPP) and Waste Landfills of Amari” is a very important project for Crete and the Regional Unit of Rethymnon that will make the greatest contribution to the protection of the environment and will help to resolve the issues in waste management once and for all.